1Advanced Materials Research Center, Materials Engineering Department, Najafabad Branch, Islamic Azad University, Isfahan, Iran
2Department of Ceramic Engineering, Shahreza Branch, Islamic Azad University, Isfahan, Iran.
The influence of magnesium content on the mechanosynthesis of ZrB2–SiC–ZrC composite in Mg/ZrSiO4/B2O3/C mixture was investigated. Thermodynamic evaluations revealed that the amount of Mg played a main role, thereby; the overall reaction enthalpy and adiabatic temperature (Tad) changed by variation of magnesium content. According to differential thermal analysis (DTA) results, after 45min milling, the temperature of combustion reaction decreased to 576 ◦C and all the reactions occurred, simultaneously. The experimental findings indicated the type of reactions in the mixture powder with stoichiometric ratio (7mol Mg) was mechanically induced self-sustaining reaction (MSR). When the Mg content was within a range of 6-7mol, the magnesiothermic reduction was occurred in MSR mode and the carbothermal reaction was activated, hence; the carbon acted not only as a carbide former agent but also as a reductant. MSR mode magnesiothermic reduction and gradual carbothermal reduction were occurred when the Mg value was 11/2-6 mol. At lower Mg contents in mixture (5mol), the reduction reaction proceeded through a gradual mode and no carbothermal reaction occurred.
X. Zhang, Q. Qu, J. Han, W. Han, C. Hong, “Microstructural features and mechanical properties of ZrB2–SiC–ZrC composites fabricated by hot pressing and reactive hot pressing”, Scripta Mater., Vol. 59, 2009, pp. 753–756.
H. Y. Ryu, H. H. Nersisyan, J. H. Lee, “Preparation of zirconium-based ceramic and composite fine-grained powders”, Int. J. Refract. Met. Hard Mater., Vol. 30, 2012, pp. 133–138.
Q. Qiang, Z. Xinghong, M. Songhe, H. Wenbo, H. Changqing, H. Jiecai, “Reactive hot pressing and sintering characterization of ZrB2–SiC–ZrC composites”, Mater. Sci. Eng. A., Vol. 491, 2008, pp. 117–123.
T. Tsuchida, S. Yamamoto, “Mechanical activation assisted self-propagating high-temperature synthesis of ZrC and ZrB2 in air from Zr/B/C powder mixtures”, J. Eur. Ceram. Soc. Vol. 24, 2004, pp. 45–51.
W. W. Wu, G. J. Zhang, Y. M. Kan, P. L. Wang, “Combustion synthesis of ZrB2–SiC composite powders ignited in air”, Mater Lett., Vol. 63, 2009, pp. 1422–1424.
R. Licheri, R. Orrù, C. Musa, G. Cao, “Combination of SHS and SPS Techniques for fabrication of fully dense ZrB2-ZrC-SiC composites”, Mater Lett. Vol. 6, 2008, pp. 432–435.
Y. Li, W. Han, H. Li, J. Zhao, T. Zhao, “Synthesis of nano-crystalline ZrB2/ZrC/SiC ceramics by liquid precursors”, Mater Lett., Vol. 68, 2012, pp.101–103.
M. Jalaly, M. Tamizifar, M. Sh. Bafghi, F. J. Gotor, “Mechanochemical synthesis of ZrB2–SiC–ZrC nanocomposite powder by metallothermic reduction of zircon”, J. Alloy. Compd., Vol. 581, 2013, pp. 782–787.
O. Torabi, R. Ebrahimi-Kahrizsangi, “Effect of the aluminum content on the mechanochemical behavior in ternary system Al–B2O3–C”, Int. J. Refract. Met. Hard Mater., Vol. 36, 2013, pp. 90–96.
10. M. Yaghoubi, O. Torabi, “Effect of the magnesium content on the mechanochemical behavior in ternary system Mg–B2O3–C”, Int. J. Refract. Met. Hard Mater., Vol. 43, 2014, pp. 132–140.
11. A. K. Khanra, “Reaction chemistry during self-propagating high-temperature synthesis (SHS) ofH3BO3–ZrO2–Mg system”, Mater. Res. Bull., Vol. 42, 2007, pp. 2224–2229.
12. P. Balaz, Mechanochemistry in nanoscience and minerals engineering, 1st ed., Springer Berlin Heidelberg, Germany, 2008, p. 14.
13. L. Takacs, “Self-Sustaining Reactions Induced by Ball Milling: An Overview”, Int. J. SHS., Vol. 18, 2009, pp. 276-282.
14. C. Suryanarayana, “Mechanical alloying and milling”, prog. Mater. Sci., Vol. 46, 2001, pp. 1–184.
15. O. Kubaschewski, C. B. Alcock, Metallurgical thermochemistry, 4th ed., Pergamon Press, UK, 1979, p. 360.
16. A. J. Nikkhah, O. Torabi, R. Ebrahimi-Kahrizsangi, S. Naghibi, A. Jamshidi, InvestigationonmechanochemicalsynthesisofAl2O3/BN nanocomposite by aluminothermic reaction, Cer. Int., Vol. 40, 2014, pp. 5559–5566.
M. Sakaki, M. S. Bafghi, J. Vahdati Khaki, Q. Zhang, J. Kano, F. Saito, “Effect of the aluminum content on the behavior of mechanochemical reactions in the WO3–C–Al system”, J. Alloy. Compd., Vol. 480, 2009, pp. 824–829